Fully Funded 2021 International Mathematical Union (IMU) Breakout Graduate Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: May 31, 2021 09:00 AM hours CET
The IMU Breakout Graduate Fellowships offers a limited number of grants for excellent students from developing countries.
Professional mathematicians are invited to nominate highly motivated and mathematically talented students from developing countries who plan to complete a doctoral degree in a developing country, including their own home country. Nominees must have a consistently good academic record and must be seriously interested in pursuing a career of research and teaching in mathematics.
It is the hope of the donors, the IMU and FIMU that the fellowship helps educate the next generation of mathematicians and hopefully results in extended benefits to the home countries of those chosen for the fellowships.
The nomination form has to be filled out online and be submitted by the nominator. Students cannot apply themselves for the fellowship. Paper applications are not accepted. Changes after submission are not possible.
Conditions for the Nominator (Professional Mathematician)
- Professional mathematicians (including those who have superannuated, but continue to mentor young students). It is preferable that the nominator has been mentoring the nominee.
Conditions for the Nominee (Student)
- The student must be A) resident AND B) a citizen of a developing country
- The student must either
- A) be pre-accepted to join a doctoral program in the first academic year after the time of selection in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country. OR
- B) already be enrolled in a doctoral program in a university or research institution which is based in a developing country
- There is no age limit for the student.
Nomination for women students is strongly encouraged.
Expenses that can be covered by the fellowship
The fellowship can cover the entire period of the doctoral program up to four years of the student (nominee). The following costs up to a maximum of USD 10.000 per year can be covered by the grant.
- Full tuition fee
- Accommodation expenses
- Travel expenses to the host institution (if different from the home country)
- Basic living expenses that will depend on the cost of the living of the country in which the student will study his/ her doctoral program
- The fellowship is incompatible with any other scholarship.
- The fellowship will be awarded starting from the time of selection Fellowship (i.e. without retrospective effect) in case of awardees already enrolled in a doctoral program, and from the time the awardee enrols in a recognized doctoral program otherwise.
- The fellowship will be sanctioned for one year at a time and is renewable annually, based on satisfactory progress of the awardee and will cease to be awarded when the awardee completes the doctoral program or at the end of four years, whichever is earlier.
Nomination/ Application Process
The nomination has to be filled out and submitted online by the nominator.
Once your are logged in, you can find the online nomination form here:
Online Nomination form
Information to be filled out online (by the Nominator)
For an overview of the nomination form, please download the nomination form here(pdf file).
Please notice that application is not to be uploaded, but filled out on line and that paper applications can unfortunately NOT be accepted.
Material to be uploaded during the process: (Only files in PDF format can be uploaded.)
- Statement from nominator
- Scanned copy of student (nominee) passport
- Official letter of pre-acceptance in the PhD Programme
- Budget of total expenses requested
- PhD Supervisor CV (up to 5 pages)
- Research Project
- Two (2) letters of recommendation – they must NOT be written by the nominator
- Transcripts of coursework (certified copies (e.g. stamped by the university)) of the student
- A) BSc degree or equivalent
- B) MSc degree or equivalent
- Nominee CV
- Nominee letter of motivation, research project and future plans of the student
- Nominator declaration
- PhD Supervisor declaration
- Nominee (student) declaration
Both nominations and accompanying documentation must be submitted in English only. If the documentation furnished were incomplete the entry would not be accepted for consideration.
Questions before submitting the nomination
In case of questions please contact the London Mathematical Society (LMS) at [email protected]
LMS will administer this programme during and after submission of the nomination on behalf of IMU and will liaise with the awarded nominees. The selection will be done by the CDC Breakout Graduate Fellowship Selection Committee.
For More Information: