Algeria Youth Leadership cultural exchange Program
Application Deadline: November 29th 2020
The Algerian Youth Leadership Program is a leadership development opportunity for Algerian and American youth, ages 15-17. This cultural and academic exchange takes place every June and July in Reno, Nevada and Washington, DC.
NNIC has coordinated the exchange for 12 consecutive years. The program employs a highly interactive approach both in workshops and in a range of public and community settings. Through engagement in the activities, youth and adult participants will better understand civic participation and the rights and responsibilities of citizens in a democracy, and the role that social enterprises play in a community. The program is highly academic. One of the goals of the program is to provide participants with the skills to complete a required post-program service project in their local communities. This program is fully funded by the U.S. Department of State’s Bureau of Educational and Cultural Affairs.
Applications for 2021 program
Applications for Algerian Youth and Adult Participants for the 2021 Algerian Youth Leadership Program are open from November 1-29, 2020.
Youth who are eligible to apply must:
- Be a legal citizen of Algeria
- Be 15, 16 or 17 years old on June 11, 2021
- Have at least one year of high school remaining after the program. If you are selected as a semifinalist, you will be required to submit an original high school transcript and a school certificate to verify that you have at least one year of high school remaining.
- Have demonstrated English skills, sufficient for understanding academic discussion and everyday social interactions
- Have demonstrated leadership in their schools and/or communities
- Have interest in the program themes of social entrepreneurship, leadership and project development and would like to participate in academic classes and do work to develop in these areas
- Have permission from their parent(s) or legal guardian to participate in the entire program
- Not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développement, or the U.S. Department of State
Algerian adult applicants
Adults who are eligible to apply must:
- Be legal citizens of Algeria
- Work actively mentoring youth in their professional or volunteer activities
- Be community leaders
- Have excellent English
- Be committed to working with the Youth Leadership Program participants after their return from the United States to assist in the implementation of community projects
- Have travel experience outside of their home state or province (international travel experience is not required-program staff will travel with you to the U.S.)
- Be committed to the goals and ideals of the program, including civic leadership, diversity and fostering regional and global interactions
- Not be employed by and/or do not have a familial relation to the Northern Nevada International Center, their Algerian partner Action Bénévole pour la Citoyenneté & le Développementor the U.S. Department of State