Matsumae International Foundation (MIF) Research Fellowship Program
Application Deadline: July 31st 2019
Upon the concept of the founder of the Matsumae International Foundation (MIF), “Towards A Greater Understanding of Japan and a Lasting World Peace”, MIF has started the Research Fellowship Program in 1980. “2020 Research Fellowship Program” has been officially released.
Applicants of non-Japanese nationality who meet all of the following eligibility requirements are invited to submit the required application documents.
Applicants must obtain a Letter of Invitation from host institutions in Japan.
Applicants must hold a PH.D. (Doctorate) degree, or be recognized by MIF as possessing equivalent academic qualifications.
Applicants must be at the age of 49 years old or younger at the time when documents are submitted.
Applicants must have sufficient abilities in the English or Japanese languages.
Applicants should not have past or current experiences of staying in Japan. (Except for short-term stay. E.g. sightseeing, conferences)
Applicants should be in employment in their home countries, and must return to their countries upon completion of their MIF fellowship tenure.
Applicants must be of sound health.
FIELDS OF RESEARCH STUDY
- Fields of research such as natural science, engineering and medicine are considered with first priorities.
PERIOD AND NUMBER OF FELLOWSHIPS
- Applicants indicate the period of Fellowship with the length of stay needed for the Research Project (Application Document #2) between 3 to 6 months, and commencing month and ending month between April 2020 and March 2021. (e.g. 5 months from June 2020 to October 2020)
- MIF plans to invite about 20 researchers/scholars.
The following financial supports are provided to the successful applicants. No support to his/her family or dependents is available.
Fellowships are provided to successful applicants only, and intended for necessary living expenses and research activities in Japan. Under no circumstances, this fellowship is transferable.
Allowance for research and stay ………… ¥220,000- per month is provided for the purpose of tuition payment, expenses for research materials, and miscellaneous living expenses.
Insurance …………………………………………… Overseas Travel Accident/Sickness Insurance:
(1) Personal accident insurance with death benefit and medical treatment,
(2) Sickness Insurance with death benefit and medical treatment.
Air transportation ………………………………. A coach class round trip air tickets between an airport nearest to the successful applicant’s domicile and Tokyo via most direct and economical
routing is provided. The tickets provided cannot be converted to cash, nor can cash provided by MIF be used for purchasing air tickets.
Start-up Fund upon arrival …………………. ¥120,000- is provided to cover the initial costs to start a new research stay in Japan.
- Applicants should obtain the current issue of the Fellowship Announcement from MIF. Or download the announcement from the MIF’s website and print out the Application Form in PDF-format or MS Word file.
- MIF cannot entertain requests for waivers of the eligibility requirements and other conditions, listed in the Fellowship Announcement, and will not accommodate such requests.
- Application must be submitted from the applicant’s home country. MIF accepts those submitted by post. Those applications submitted electronically or via facsimile will be unacceptable.
- Application must be received by MIF by 17:00 on July 31st, 2019 (Japan Standard Time). Application will not be accepted in any reason after the deadline date.
For More Information: